Report a Violation or Concern
It is important to Caltech that employees report violations or potential violations of law or serious breaches of conduct without the fear of retaliation. If you have an ethical dilemma, experience or witness discrimination, harassment, or violence, or see something that does not seem right, you are encouraged to speak up.
You may talk to whomever you trust, including Caltech’s Title IX Coordinator, Deans, RAs, RLCs, faculty, and staff. Caltech’s Counseling Center staff, Health Center staff, and the designated staff at the Center for Diversity will keep your information confidential if that is your desire. However, any other Institute employee is required to report all incidents of sexual violence, non-sexual violence & other related crimes. For a list of Caltech’s compliance standards and procedures, refer to the Institute Compliance Program website.
Caltech’s policy on whistleblowing prohibits retaliation against an individual who makes a good faith disclosure of suspected wrongful conduct. Any individual who engages in retaliation in violation of this policy will be subject to disciplinary action up to and including termination or expulsion.
Employees who believe they have been the subject of retaliation for reporting improper activities are encouraged to contact their supervisor or one of the following offices:
- Human Resources
- JPL Ethics Office
- Audit Services and Institute Compliance
- Office of the General Counsel
Below are a number of options for reporting incidents confidentially or anonymously.
On-Campus Confidential Resources
When you contact a confidential resource such as the contacts listed below, what you say is protected and is NOT reported.
Get support, advocacy, resource information, and referrals.
Call the Center for Diversity’s main line at (626) 395-6207 and ask to speak with a confidential resource, or contact one of the persons listed below:
- Erin-Kate Escobar, Assistant Director - (626) 395-3221* / email@example.com
- Taso Dimitriadis, Associate Director - (626) 395-8018* / firstname.lastname@example.org
*You may leave a confidential voicemail message at either of these numbers.
Get ongoing emotional support from licensed clinicians.
- Daytime contact info: (626) 395-8331
- After Hours (5 p.m. – 8 a.m.), weekends & holidays contact info: Call Campus Security at (626) 395-4701, or (626) 395-5000 if it’s an emergency, and ask to speak to the on-call psychologist for students. You don’t have to give your name or the reason you are calling – just a phone number where you can be reached.
Get support regarding medical and health concerns: (626) 395-6393
Get confidential support (for non-students: post-docs, faculty, and staff members): (626) 395-8360
When you contact the resources below, your concerns are reported anonymously:
- Campus' Anonymous Hotline – (626) 395-8787 or toll-free at (888) 395-8787
- JPL's Anonymous Ethics Line – (818) 354-9999 or toll-free at (866) 405-7536